Homemade Laundry Detergent

It seems the latest "craze" has made it here to my house. Most everyone I know is beginning to make their own laundry detergent, anti-static dryer sheet alternatives and dishwashing detergent.

I have spent the last couple of weeks making and trying various recipes of these so I thought I'd share with you my opinion on them.

I'll start with the easiest first:

Anti-Static Dryer Sheet Alternative (other than the failed aluminum foil ball...lol:):
2 sponges cut in half
1 bottle of cheap Ocean Mist type of hair conditioner
Pour conditioner into a tub that has a lid and place sponges in it. When you throw your clothes into the dryer you throw in a conditioner soaked sponge.

I honestly really liked this and loved the smell. It seemed to work just fine as far as an antistatic too. I didn't like the conditioner being all over my hands when I threw the sponge into the dryer. I'm not sure about the cost - I forgot to start keeping track to see how many conditioner dipped sponges that we would get out of it before we started using it. I got the conditioner from the Dollar Tree so if it's a bottle a month...that wouldn't be too bad but if it's more often...I think my Bounce dryer sheets from Sams Club is just as reasonable.

Laundry Detergent (powder):
1c Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
1/2c Borax
1 bar grated Fels Naptha
Mix together and use 1-3 tablespoons in load of wash. Mix together and store in air tight container.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this...the Fels Naptha smells AWESOME!!! I have ALWAYS only used Tide with Bleach and I think our clothes have always looked pretty good but now using this I notice our clothes are even BRIGHTER than they have been in the past. I have NO negatives on this...I think it's fun and theraputic grating the Fels Naptha.

Dishwashing Detergent (powder):
1 cup Borax
1 cup Baking Soda
1/4 cup table salt
2 pkgs lemon cool-aid mix
Mix all and store in airtight container. Use same amount as store bought brand. Shake before each use.

I didn't care too much for this...I felt that all of our glasses came out cloudy and several of the dishes had film on them each time. I may try an alternative recipe in the future but I got some of our old detergent on sale/free with a rewards card so I'll be using that again for now.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bloggy Tour of Homes

Happy Mother's Day

A Little Snow Day Organizing...